Programming challenge: update

Towards the end of last month I wrote a post about how I wanted to come up with something that would reformat a log file for me into a more readable format.

It’s taken a while, but today I have that solution. I moved on from shell scripts to python, and on the way to figuring out my solution I learned about git and version control, about logging and debugging, about opening and working with files, control flow, concatenation… all sorts of good stuff.

part of the python code that tidies things up for me

The code reformats my log into a readable text file, but my next step will be to have it put that information into an excel spreadsheet — then I can sort the columns into whatever order I want.

I’m really enjoying using python and will be on the lookout for more interesting projects that I can do with it.

Everywhere else I write about beer, cider and spirits. This is where I put other stuff, mostly about coding.